What is Paediatric Speech-Language Therapy?
A Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) addresses speech delays, disorders of communication and
swallowing with patients of all ages. A paediatric Speech-Language Therapist works with the kid
on every aspect of speech production, including understanding and appropriate usage of
vocabulary, grammar and all the social aspects of language. Speech Therapy for Children at
Ananya is quite simple since our SLPs use a play-based approach to address a child’s unique and
Our Speech Language Therapists work on the following skills:
- Receptive Language Skills (how words and gestures/understood)
- Expressive Language Skills (the ability to express our wants/needs)
- Pragmatic Language skills (using language appropriately in social situations)
- Articulation (how sounds are formed and sequenced to create words)
- Oral Motor Skills - strength, stability, placement, and range of motion of the oral
musculature (jaw, lips, and tongue) to produce sounds
- Feeding Skills (learning eating patterns that create healthy speech patterns)
- Augmentative Alternative Communication - using Sign Language,
- PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System).
- Fluency - learning breath and speech patterns to sustain appropriate rate, tone, and fluent
- Caregiver Education/Parent Training – teaching strategies to promote carryover of skills in
the natural everyday environment.
How do I know if my child needs Speech-Language Therapy?
If your child experiences any of the following, you may want to consult with an SLP:
- Not babbling or producing any sound.
- Unable to get needs met through either vocalization.
- Does not speak any words (by 18 months).
- Other individuals are not able to understand at least 50% of what your child is saying (by 2
years of age).
- Is only using one word at a time rather than stringing together 2-3 words to express.
themselves (by 3 years of age).
- Is unable to say a range of different sounds (e.g. ‘p’, ‘b’, ‘t’, ‘w’, ‘n’).
- Struggles to find the correct word to say, often has trouble thinking of what to say.
- Is not able to answer ‘w’ questions (who, what, where, when and why).
- Is not able to tell a story with a beginning, middle and end.
Paediatric Speech-Language Therapy Interventions used at Ananya
– Speech Therapy Centre?
- Complete Speech
- Phonological Processing
- Developmental Play Therapy
- Language Intervention
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) / Assistive Technology (often integrated
through apps or on a tab)
Each field has a unique approach to help children lead a normal and simple life.
Assessment for feeding disorders:
At our Speech Therapy in Hyderabad, the highly trained therapists treat children of all ages with
feeding disorders, including infants.
Feeding disorders may involve:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sensory issues
- Poor oral motor skills
- Food refusal
- Food selectivity
We believe in a team approach to feeding therapy. Including the family, teachers, paediatrician,
dietitians, occupational therapists, and speech-language pathologist.
Social Skills and Language Groups
Paediatric Therapy Playhouse offers language groups for children with language disorders who
would benefit from engaging and communicating with peers in a social setting. In addition, at
Ananya's Speech Therapy for Children, we offer Floor time-based social skills groups for
children who would benefit from the opportunity to participate in group activities while
engaging with their peers in a play-based setting. Children are matched based on their age,
areas of need, and strengths.
Book an appointment with us
Your first appointment is used to get to know you and your child, to assess your child’s current
abilities, and develop an understanding of their strengths and difficulties. From this
information, we can then work together to develop a plan to help to optimise your child’s
overall abilities and well-being.
55/A, Jubilee Enclave, Madhapur, Hyderabad – 500084, Telangana, India
+91 98485 46504
+91 98485 13192